Thursday, September 16, 2010

Labels

Today for a homework assignment I had to read an essay titled “Being a Cripple”. I was intrigued by the title and soon won over by the author. The author has MS, she has termed herself as a cripple because she does not like the terms t hat society labels people such as herself. Terms such as disabled, handicapped, physically challenged, etc…

I myself have issues with labels. There have been instances where people have asked me what my handicap is, to which I reply “I don’t have one”. I do not see myself as handicapped, just because God made me with a deformity does not mean that I am unable. It means that He gave me a new way to do things.

I have been through different agencies that help “people like me” and they all want to know what my disability is or what my handicap is and I also tell them, “I was born with a deformity; I am not handicapped or crippled.” I can do everything that I want to do that other people can do. I have learned how to tie my shoes, crochet, diaper my children, feed them and any other thing that I have set my mind to. I do not require special help to get things done in my life. The only help I need is in the understanding of society that yes, I look different, but I am just like you. I have feelings; I can see your pity, fear, confusion and stares.

If I have learned anything about growing up with a deformity it is that it has made me a strong person. There was and is a purpose for me. God had a reason for making me this way. That reason is to help others that have similar issues in life. I feel that His purpose for me is to be an encourager to other kids and families that are dealing with birth defects. I do not want other kids to have to grow up thinking that they have to limit themselves to a label. A label of being handicapped, or crippled or any other makes you feel like you are inferior. I am NOT inferior. I am the daughter of a king, He does not make mistakes, He made me t fulfill a purpose and bring glory to Him. So the only label that I will live with is a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment