Monday, August 16, 2010

New Adventure

I am so excited for what is going on in my life right now. A few months ago, I started back to school. I am taking classes online though the University of Phoenix. I am now in my 3rd block of classes. (Every 9 weeks I take 2 classes) I thought it would be a lot harder than it has been so far. I have after all been out of high school for 15 years. (Ouch that makes me feel a little old) I have however surprised myself by making straight A’s so far in all my classes that I have completed.

The thing that excites me about going back to school is that I am moving one step closer to doing what I feel God is calling me to do. I am going to school to get a degree in Human Resource Management. With this, I am going to start a non-profit for kids with deformities. Not only kids but for the parents of kids or parents themselves have deformities. When I was growing up there was nothing like this to help me cope or for my parents to have support to know what to expect.

What I want to do is to have play groups for kids with deformities, support groups for older kids, and parents. I want to set up a data base of resources for these families and implement school programs for area school to help the “normal” kids understand why not everyone is the same. I feel like there are so many different ways that I can not only help these children and families but I feel like I will be able to show them the love that God has shown me.

I know that I had a rough time growing up with a deformity and I know that most kids have a hard enough time making their way through school without getting made fun of, without the extra burden of having a visual difference. I want these kids that are like me to meet other kids that are like them and to realize that they are not alone in the world. I never knew anyone like me until I was an adult. I think if I had known there were others like me going through the same issues it would have been much easier to take the teasing.

God is working on me, I know that he is far from finished with me and I am glad that I have been shown this path. I know it will not be easy and will maybe even be heartbreaking to see other kids that are going through what I did growing up. But if I can show them ways to deal with the teasing and show them that God loves them and be a blessing to their lives then the struggle will be well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment