Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Bad Side?


So for the first time in more than 20 years my arm with the birth defect is wrapped and in a sling. Maybe I am being overly sensitive today, but when I told someone about going to the doctor today for what I assumed would turn out to be a stress fracture they commented,  “which arm? Oh the bad one, good thing not the good one.”  When did my birth defect become bad? What determines it to be my bad arm? Yes, it is not my dominant side; yes it is not the one I depend on for most things. However after having it taken away from me I realize just how far I have come in being able to use it.  I realize now that even using the one finger on that hand I still depend on it to type with both hands, I depend on it to drive when I need to scratch my nose, I depend on it to wash the dishes while I hold them steady with the other hand.  Nowhere do I see a bad side in this. Heck I even depend on it to do push ups. Yes, I know that the person was not meaning to hurt my feelings. I think that I have just come to accept myself for who I am and it is a part of me as anyone else’s “normal” limbs.  But it still stings to have it pointed out that I am not like most of the world. Luckily I don’t mind being different anymore. God made me this way for a reason and I am proud of His creation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment